Last night I drove back to Ithaca from my hometown of Flint, MI. I had Great Expectations on tape, and Dickens’ verbosity helped get me through the nine-hour drive without plowing into someone out of sheer boredom. Flint was unexpectedly fun. I got to see my favorite old gang, and their cute new kids. Downtown’s been sexed up a bit, with some lighted arches and a cobblestone overhaul. The best thing downtown is Flint City T-Shirts, my friend Matt’s new shop. I got an “I heart MI” shirt, and Erin got one that says “Flint: Baddest town around since 1855.”
Things I missed while I was in Flint (Good)
- Snoop Dogg asking Cornellians “Can U Control Yo Hoe?” (more on misogyny in hip hop)
- Slope day snowfences
- Cat barfing
Things I missed while I was in Flint (Bad)
- Beezoo and Lexie delivering brownies at work
- Tulips blooming in spite of the damn deer (curse you deer!)
- International dance festival (opa!)
Things I did while in Flint
- Ate assloads of coneys. Pretty much literally.
- Went to Wal-mart twice with parents. Bought nothing. Washed off corporate slime afterward.
- Gave driving tour of expensive public works projects that were going to “save Flint”
- Tamale night at Erin’s grandma’s
- Mourned the death of Angelo’s. The walls are bare. They have wheat toast. The waitress called my friend “sir.” It’s over.
- Three-hour gossip session with everyone’s favorite Joel
- Got asked out by skeevy Australian waiter while at Olive garden with mom.
- Introduced parents to veggi burger. Ate chicken in exchange.