Last night I drove back to Ithaca from my hometown of Flint, MI. I had Great Expectations on tape, and Dickens’ verbosity helped get me through the nine-hour drive without plowing into someone out of sheer boredom. Flint was unexpectedly fun. I got to see my favorite old gang, and their cute new kids. Downtown’s been sexed up a bit, with some lighted arches and a cobblestone overhaul. The best thing downtown is Flint City T-Shirts, my friend Matt’s new shop. I got an “I heart MI” shirt, and Erin got one that says “Flint: Baddest town around since 1855.”
Things I missed while I was in Flint (Good)
- Snoop Dogg asking Cornellians “Can U Control Yo Hoe?” (more on misogyny in hip hop)
- Slope day snowfences
- Cat barfing
Things I missed while I was in Flint (Bad)
- Beezoo and Lexie delivering brownies at work
- Tulips blooming in spite of the damn deer (curse you deer!)
- International dance festival (opa!)
Things I did while in Flint
- Ate assloads of coneys. Pretty much literally.
- Went to Wal-mart twice with parents. Bought nothing. Washed off corporate slime afterward.
- Gave driving tour of expensive public works projects that were going to “save Flint”
- Tamale night at Erin’s grandma’s
- Mourned the death of Angelo’s. The walls are bare. They have wheat toast. The waitress called my friend “sir.” It’s over.
- Three-hour gossip session with everyone’s favorite Joel
- Got asked out by skeevy Australian waiter while at Olive garden with mom.
- Introduced parents to veggi burger. Ate chicken in exchange.
In other news, Wendy at Poundy describes the Seattle Public Library most aptly.
Store Wars should tip you over your monthly bandwidth quota nicely. Headphones required. Organic and work-safe.